Veterans Affairs

Sites/Resources for Veterans

For information and links to all VA forms, go to the VA Education Benefits site at: or call 1-888-442-4551.

Veteran's Center:

Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC):

Homeland Security Jobs for Veterans:

Hire Hero, a non-profit organization providing free job-placement services to vets with service-related disabilities:

The VET2VET program was created to connect veterans and active duty military men and women to their peers instead of a generic hotline.

Database of employers who want to hire veterans and their family members:

VetNet - VetNet was founded as a partnership with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce's Hiring Our Heroes program, the Institute for Veterans and Military Families (IVMF) and Hire Heroes USA. Whether you need help fine tuning your resume, finding out what career path is right for you, or you need help starting your own business, VetNet has something for you.

For All Seasons Mental Health Programs and Services:

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration:
Supporting America's service men and women - Active Duty, National Guard, Reserve, and Veteran - together with their families and communities by leading efforts to ensure that needed behavioral health services are accessible and that outcomes are positive.

MD Dept. of Labor, Licensing & Regulation Workforce Development

Mike Neil
Local Veterans Employment Representative
301 Bay St., Suite 301
Easton, Md 21601
Office: 410-822-3030 ext. 304

Carl Dentinger
Disabled Veterans Outreach Specialist
627A Race St.
Cambridge, Md 21613
Office: 410-901-4204

Sharon Egerson
Disabled Veterans Outreach Specialist
301 Bay St., Suite 301
Easton, Md 21601
Office: 410-822-3030

State of Maryland Regional Resource Coordinator
Michael Bargiband
Regional Resource Coordinator
611B Dutchman's Lane
Easton, MD 21601
Toll Free: 877-770-4801
Cell: 410-725-9996
Fax: 410-820-7283
E-mail :

Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Division
Elaine Wright, MS, CRC
Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor
Office: 410-713-3483

Request copies of Military Personal Records at:

Maryland Department of Veterans' Affairs - Support and resources for veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan

Five Minute FAFSA Video

This five minute video created by FastWeb is a quick and entertaining introduction to completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Submit a FAFSA to apply for grants, loans and work-study from the federal government as well as state and school-based financial aid.

Please note that YouTube may suggest "related" videos of an inappropriate nature after the conclusion of this video if you view the video on the YouTube site. The embedded version on FinAid, however, has been configured to block the suggestion of related videos. You can also use the Google Video version of The Five-Minute FAFSA Video. (The YouTube version runs more smoothly than the Google Video version.)

Starring: Scott Kaminsky, Dan Aho and Howie Kremer
Created By: Scott Kaminsky, Bridget Kulla and Charley Rivkin
Director/Editor: Charley Rivkin

CLEP Testing

Active duty military may qualify for free CLEP Exams; veterans may qualify for reimbursement of CLEP costs. For more information, please check or contact the Testing Center at 410-822-5400 ext. 344.

Veterans' Checklist for Enrollment

  • Complete a VONAPP on the VA's website (if new VA student) or complete a VA Form 22-1995 (if benefits have been used at another school) (Spouse/Children may have to file additional forms with the VA, check the VA website for Chapter-specific information)
  • Complete an Admissions Application - see the Information Desk in the Dorchester Building or apply online.
  • Placement Testing - check out the Testing Center website for Testing Hours.
    • All new students must take placement tests before meeting with an advisor and registering for classes. These tests assist advisors with placing students in applicable developmental classes if needed.
  • Submit the following to the Registration Office:
    • A copy of the completed VONAPP
    • A Certificate of Eligibility received from the VA
    • A copy of your DD-214
    • Copy of military transcripts and transcripts from prior educational institutions, if applicable.
    • A Chesapeake College VA Enrollment Certification Request Form (can be found online or in the Registration Office).
  • Obtain Veteran's Advising Form from the Registration Office - this form should be presented to your advisor during the advising process.
  • Meet with an Advisor - Veterans should make an appointment with Guido DeLuca for advising and completing a registration form. Contact Mr. DeLuca at 410-827-5804 for an appointment.
  • Apply for Federal financial aid at (School code 004650)
  • Register for classes - the VA will only cover the classes listed in your academic program (AER). See the Registration Office if you have any questions.
  • Obtain signature from School Certifying Official if adding/droping any classes at any time during the semester.

A PDF version of this checklist is available

For questions, please contact the Cindy Welzel, Registration Specialist at 410-827-5876.

General Information

Chesapeake College is approved by the Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC) to participate in the Veteran's Educational Benefits Program. All of our credit programs are approved for veteran's education benefits. Students must be admitted to Chesapeake College as a credit student to receive their benefits. Programs through Continuing Education are not approved for veteran's education benefits. All Veteran students must contact the Registration Office to discuss their VA Education Benefit eligibility.

VA education benefits are designated by Chapters:

  • Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation)
  • Chapter 33 (Post 911 active duty, reservists, National Guard)
  • Chapter 35 (Spouse and children of 100% disabled or deceased veterans)
  • Chapter 1606 (reservist and guardsman)
  • Chapter 1607 (reservist and guardsman with special deployment requirements)

All VA Benefit recipients:

  • Benefits must be renewed each semester by submitting the VA Enrollment Certification Request Form to the Office of Records and Registration.
  • VA Benefits will only be paid for courses required in your Program (see your Academic Evaluation Report - AER).
  • Official Transcripts from other schools attended and from military training must be submitted to the Registrar for evaluation of transfer credits. We must receive these transcripts before the start of your 2nd semester or we will not be able to continue to certify you enrollment with the VA until we receive the transcripts.
  • Change in Academic Program or schedule revisions must be reported to Certifying Official to ensure that correct paperwork is submitted to VA. Failure to do so, may affect student payment from VA.

Service Connected Disability - Veterans with a service connected disability may be eligible for Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E, Chapter 31) benefits. Please call 1-800-827-1000 to speak with a VA Vocational and Employment counselor or 1-888-442-4551 to speak with a VA education benefits specialist.

National Guard — Active members may be eligible for 50 percent tuition discount. To qualify, members must present a State Tuition Waiver Letter signed by their Unit Commander upon registration each semester.

If you are a Veteran or spouse/children using Transfer of Entitlement and have never used your benefits before, you must:

  • Veteran must complete and submit a VA 22-1990 Application for Educational Benefits online thru VONAPP and present copy to the Certifying Official.
  • Spouse or dependent must submit VA 22-1990e online thru VONAPP after DOD has approved the request for transferability of education benefits and present copies to the Certifying Official.
  • Present your Certificate of Eligibility to the Certifying Official
  • Selected Reserve Education Assistance Program will need 22-2384-1 signed by Commanding Officer or Designee for Certifying Official.

If you are a Survivor or Dependent, and never used your benefits before, you must:

  • Complete an Application for Survivor's and Dependents Benefits VA 22-5490 and submit to Certifying Official.

If you have used your VA Benefits before at another school or changed your Academic Program since last certification:

  • Veterans must complete a VA 22-1995 and submit to Certifying Official.
  • Survivors and Dependents must complete a VA 22-5495 and submit to Certifying Official.

IMPORTANT  -- Students receiving MGIB-Active Duty Chapter 30 benefits, as well as those in Chapter 1606 and Chapter 1607, must verify their enrollment each month to receive payment for that month. This verification can be done either by using the VA's Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or by using an automated telephone system (IVR) at 1-877-823-2378 and follow the prompts.

To apply for benefits, see the Veteran's Checklist for Enrollment

Questions, contact Cindy Welzel, Registration Specialist at 410-827-5876 or email to