Legal Studies - A.A.S Degree or Certificate
*Paralegals may not provide legal services directly to the public except as permitted by law
On-campus law clinic and student iPad program now available*
Chesapeake College’s Paralegal degree programs prepare students for rewarding legal careers in the public and private sectors. Earn an Associate Degree, or one-year certificate, in this fast-paced, interesting, and rewarding field. Our program provides you with the legal knowledge, skills, and experience you will need to enjoy a successful career in several diverse environments. All of our classes are taught by licensed attorneys to give you the highest quality education in your pursuit of a paralegal certificate in Maryland.
Objectives of our Paralegal program:
• Gain practical knowledge to begin your professional legal career
• Take various law classes to explore the many professions available
• Obtain critical skills in legal research
• Easy transfer to a four-year program so you can earn a B.S. in Paralegal Studies
Our Program Opportunities Include:
• Preparation for private or public sector paralegal careers
• 60 Credit Paralegal A.A.S. Degree
• 29 Credit (minimum) Paralegal Studies Certificate
A paralegal degree or certificate prepares you for a wealth of career opportunities, including:
• Private law firms
• Public defender or State’s Attorneys Office
• Circuit or district courts
• Federal government agencies
• Real estate or title insurance firms
• Non-profit organizations
In Chesapeake’s practical and successfully proven program,
you’ll learn how to:
• Conduct crucial research on relevant laws and regulations
• Organize and maintain important documents electronically to keep up with a growing field
• Gather and arrange important evidence and review trial transcripts
• Draft legal documents and summarize reports
• Obtain affidavits and evidentiary statements
• File exhibits, briefs and legal appeals
Our courses are designed to prepare you for employment as a legal assistant, and teach you the appropriate skills as you learn how to become a paralegal. Upon completion, you will have a firm grasp of the legal knowledge and practices needed to succeed in your new, exciting career.
For questions or to learn more about the Paralegal Studies Program, please contact:
Start your application process HERE (http://www.chesapeake.edu/admissions)
For more information about the paralegal program see our program of study.
*Students in Paralegal classes may be eligible to use free iPads for the semester.