Athletics News

Men's Soccer

Skipjacks lose double-overtime finale to Del Tech
Chesapeake comes from behind twice before falling on late goal

WYE MILLS – Josh Sommer scored with less than two minutes remaining in the second overtime Wednesday afternoon as Delaware Tech finally finished off Chesapeake College, 3-2, in the Skipjacks’ final men’s soccer game of the year.

Chesapeake (3-10) had twice rallied from one-goal deficits to send the game into overtime, but Sommer scored off a Steve Benoit feed in the second extra period. Del Tech was aided by a red-card ejection handed out to Chesapeake’s Dominic Ramos in overtime that forced the Skipjacks to play a man down the rest of the way.

Chesapeake head coach Mark Dennis said the ejection changed the game’s momentum.

"Dominic Ramos has not had even a yellow card in his two years playing for me," said Dennis, who questioned whether the foul merited a red card.

Del Tech got on the board first with a goal by Sean Swift, but Chesapeake was able to tie it up before half when Dan Martinsson (goal, assist) played a pass to Erich Wagenblatt, who scored the equalizer. The visitors also struck first in the second half when Alvenso Honore scored from near the top of the Skipjacks’ penalty box for a 2-1 Tech advantage.

With time running out, the Skipjacks pushed everyone up field, including goalie Jeremy Wallace. Del Tech committed a foul and Martinsson converted the direct free kick from about 28 yards out to tie the game.

"Our guys always play hard until the final whistle and that served us well against Del Tech," said Dennis. "Dan played a very smart and accurate free kick into their goal. Dan saw he had room for the shot and had the good judgment and skill to go ahead and take the shot."

Wallace had eight saves in goal for Chesapeake.

Howard CC 6, Chesapeake - 0

WYE MILLS – Blaise Sindjui had a hat trick Monday afternoon to pace visiting Howard Community College.

David Perez struck first for Howard 13 minutes into the contest with a header off a pass from David Neuberth. Two goals from Sindjui followed along with a score by Yunior Blanco and an own goal for a 5-0 halftime score.

The Skipjacks recouped and played better in the second half, only giving up an early score to Sindjui as he completed his hat trick.

Jeremy Wallace had four saves in goal for Chesapeake.

"We gave up three goals in a five-minute span rather early and it really kind of stunned us after playing fairly even for the first 13 minutes," said Chesapeake head coach Mark Dennis.

The Skipjacks also lost defender J.T. Nagel – a starter every game for the last two years – due to a first-half injury.

"I was talking to our goalie, Jeremy Wallace, the other day and we could only think of a couple of goals all season scored on Nagel’s side," said Dennis. "We talked at halftime and came out better prepared to play in the second half."

back to listing of Athletics News

If there is inaccurate information on this page,
please send correction or comments to: Becky Fauver