Benefits at a Glance
The following is a summary of benefits presently offered by Chesapeake College for exempt and non-exempt employees. Please note: this information is subject to change. If there is ever a conflict between this summary and the current version of the Faculty/Staff Manual or other official documentation, the latter information shall prevail.
Detailed information about the benefits offered by the college is available at http://www.mybensite.com/chesapeake. (username - chesapeake, password - benefits)
Chesapeake College offers its employees the opportunity to participate in one of two health insurance plans with United Healthcare: a Choice or a Choice Plus. You can search for a provider in our network by visiting: http://www.uhc.com.
Employees who have health insurance through another provider may receive a $2,000 flexible spending credit that can be used to pay for separate dental or vision premiums, eligible medical expenses, and/or dependent care. The employee must provide proof of coverage to the benefits coordinator.
Dental coverage is available through Delta Dental and is included in our health plan. It may also be purchased separately. Vision coverage is available through Avesis. Vision coverage is voluntary and can be purchased exclusively of our other benefits.
All employees, working in established positions 17.5 hours or more per week, will receive life insurance equal to two (2) times their annual salary, rounded to the next higher 1,000, to a maximum benefit of $250,000. Accidental Death and Dismemberment is included in amounts matching the basic life insurance benefit. This coverage is provided by Chesapeake College at no cost to the employee.
After one year of employment, employees are provided Short-Term and Long-Term Disability benefits.
Other offerings include: Long Term Care Insurance, Voluntary Term life insurance for individual, dependents, and spouse, and an Employee Assistance Program Health Advocate.
When applicable, the employees' share of any premiums is deducted from the semi-monthly paycheck.
Non-exempt employees are required to enroll in the Maryland State Retirement and Pension System (MSRPS). There is a 5% mandatory employee contribution. Please see http://www.sra.state.md.us/ for more information regarding the MSRPS.
Faculty and most professional exempt employees have the option of enrolling in either the MSRPS or one of several plans under the Optional Retirement Program (ORP) which are chosen by the State Retirement Agency. Employees who participate in the ORP do not make contributions to the plan. Currently, TIAA-CREF, and Fidelity are available under the ORP.
Supplemental Retirement Plans
All employees are eligible to participate in any of the Supplemental Retirement Plans (SRA) offered by Chesapeake College. Currently, pre-tax savings for retirement is available through TIAA-CREF, and Fidelity. Participation is voluntary. There is no employer contribution.
The IRS Standard Maximum Contributions for 403(b) plans during calendar year 2011 are as follows: under age 50 = $16,500 and age 50 or older = $22,500.
Flexible Spending Accounts
Employees are allowed to pay for eligible expenses on a pre-tax basis through OutSource One. There are two types:
- Health Care FSA for out of pocket medical expenses
- Dependent Care spending account for childcare expenses
In keeping with IRS regulations, employees are eligible to make an annual contribution up to $5,000 to each FSA.
Tuition Remission & Reimbursement
Tuition Remission (Employee, Spouse, Dependents): Full-time employees in established positions, their spouses, and their dependent children, who have not reached their 23rd birthday by the semester in which they are registering, are eligible, upon approval, for waiver of tuition for any program or course of study offered by Chesapeake College. Employees are responsible for all course fees, lab fees, and AFC, CES, FTW, and SWM courses. For more information, please contact Human Resources or consult the Faculty/Staff Manual.
Tuition Reimbursement (Employee only): Full-time employees in established positions are eligible for reimbursement of tuition for classes above and beyond the Associate's degree. Reimbursement is made three times per year and is the lesser of actual tuition or the University of Maryland graduate tuition rate. Employees may request reimbursement for up to six credit hours per fiscal year. For more information, please contact Human Resources or consult the Faculty/Staff Manual.
This program offers free classes and training to exempt and non-exempt employees. The program centers around the core values of Chesapeake College such as: diversity, communication, teaching, etc.
Other Benefits Available
- Leave: All employees in established positions receive annual and sick leave banks. The amount depends upon years of service as well as if the position is considered non-exempt, exempt, or administrative. For more information, please contact Human Resources or consult the Faculty/Staff Manual.
- Extended Holiday Break: Traditionally, the college is closed between the Christmas and New Year holidays.
- Wellness Program: The College offers a matching time program. With supervisor approval, an employee may use up to 3 hours per week of college time to exercise and is only responsible to make up half of the time. Throughout the year there are many other opportunities to participate in events as well as attend seminars regarding health and wellness.
- Flex-time arrangements can be made when they are consistent with the needs of the college and departments within the college.
- Credit Union: The State Employees' Credit Union (SECU) is available to all employees for services such as savings accounts, interest-bearing checking accounts, loans and automatic teller machines.
- Automatic Teller Machines (ATM's) on campus: An E-Trade ATM is located in the Caroline College Center.
- Recreational Facilities: Employees are encouraged to use the on-campus swimming pool, gymnasium, and fitness center located in the PE building. Employees are required to attend an orientation before utilizing the equipment.
- The Learning Resource Center: These facilities are open to the public.
- The Skipjack Café, located in the Caroline Center, offers a wide assortment of hot and cold breakfast and lunch options.
- Parking is free to all Chesapeake College employees.
- On-site day care is available through the Early Childhood Development Center.
Human Resources Department
1000 College Circle
P.O. Box 8
Wye Mills, MD 21679
Phone: (410) 827-5820
Fax: (410) 827-5864