Welding Schools Maryland
As part of the STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) program, we offer three unique welding programs designed to teach students the skills and knowledge necessary to become a professional in the field. The Basic Certificate, Advanced Certificate, and Letter of Recognition programs prepare students for immediate entry into the welding workforce. There is a growing demand in the industry for knowledgeable steel workers that creates a wealth of opportunities for those that learn the trade now.
Welding Basic Certificate
Preparing students to become entry level welders with the basic skills and knowledge to operate SMAW, MIG, and TIG equipment. This 18 credit program features a hands on learning environment taught by professionals in the field, with an immense focus on safety. Completion of this program gives students entry level opportunities, and prepares them for continuation of education towards the Advanced Certificate.
Welding Advanced Certificate
This 28 credit program is designed to train students for immediate employment as a certified welder, welding technician, or intermediate. Our workshops offer a unique hands on experience in welding various metals, as well as pipe in all positions. These courses will offer an understanding that builds upon the Basic Certificate.
Outcomes of the Programs
- Knowledge to safely operate basic welding hand tools and equipment, as well as oxy-fuel cutting and brazing equipment
- Ability to read blueprints, and use drafting tools
- Cost estimation, as well as applied science of materials and mathematics necessary to the profession
- Ability to set up and operate both manual and semi-automatic equipment used in the metal fabrication industry
- Proficiency in the four major processes
- Development of critical thinking skills
- Use of reading and writing skills to explain various welding processes
- Instill a sense of professional, social, and personal work ethics
- Understanding of testing and inspection methods, as well as why they are used
Welding Letter of Recognition
For students who wish to update their basic welding skills, or seek to become beginning welders. This is a 9 credit program that offers knowledge required for certification, technical courses, and workshop experience.
This program has been approved for funding under the Workforce Investment Act. For more information on this, contact the Upper Shore Workforce Investment Board. (412) 822-1716
- Creating a working knowledge that makes you highly employable
- Courses taught by licensed experts for the best education
- A truly hands on experience for optimal understanding of concepts and materials
- Workshops equipped with welding guns and various metal materials, and parts
- Transferable credits for those who wish to obtain degrees such as a Bachelor's in welding engineering
Taking The First Step
Students should contact the College's Admissions Office to plan an appropriate program.
Academic advisers can aid you in scheduling classes that work with your availability, and help you to create a plan for academic success.
Contact person: Mr. Bob Faiella