Advising For Transfer
What do I look for in a transfer college/university?
There are numerous factors that must be considered when choosing a four-year school. Some of these factors include:
- Programs of Study
- Is your intended major offered at the college/university that you are considering?
- Not all colleges offer all majors.
- Additionally, some colleges are better known for certain programs of study.
- Location (Geographic Region/State)
- If you are a commuter student, your selection will be narrowed down to the colleges within a reasonable driving distance.
- Size (Number of Students Attending)
- What size school is the best fit for you?
- What is the student/teacher ratio?
- Additional Considerations
- Graduate Programs
- Scholarship Opportunities
- Financial Aid
- Housing (many schools do not provide on-campus housing for transfer students)
- Intercollegiate athletics
- Clubs/Campus Organizations
- Internship Opportunities
- Accreditation (ensures that an institution has been evaluated and met certain standards of quality)
Advising is done on a drop-in basis, Monday through Thursday from 10am until 6pm. Advising is done on an appointment basis, Friday, from 8:30am until 4pm. For a Friday appointment, call 410-822-5400, ext. 2250.