Advising For Transfer

Transfer FAQs/Tips

How do I apply to a four year college/university?

Tips for Applying to a Four-Year Institution:

  1. Apply to more than one college in case you change your mind or don't get accepted into your first choice.
  2. Use the four year college website to find out information about applying. You will most likely be applying as a transfer student (with between 12 and 60 credits).
  3. The minimum requirements for guaranteed admissions for students transferring from a MD community college to a public four-year institution are either an Associate's Degree or 56 credits with a 2.5 GPA. However, some programs are classified as selective admission, limited enrollment, or "gateway" programs and may require a higher GPA, certain pre-requisite courses, or an additional application. Admission to a college or university does not guarantee admission into a particular program of study.
  4. Submit your application and required documents before the published application deadline. Generally, you will be applying the semester before you plan to enroll. A good rule of thumb is to apply during the summer for Spring enrollment and during the winter break for Fall enrollment. Be prepared to submit transcripts and references as requested. If you need assistance in writing the essay or resume, contact the Learning Assistance Center in the LRC.
  5. Official transcripts are obtained through the Registration Office. You will also need to provide official transcripts from any other college or program in which you received credits (i.e. AP, IB, CLEP). Only you can request your transcript to be sent. And, if you have the first transcript sent while enrolled in coursework, be sure to remember to have your final transcript sent after your grades have been posted.

Advising is done on a drop-in basis, Monday through Thursday from 10:00 am until 5:00 pm. Fridays, by appointment, 10:00 am - 4:00 pm. For a Friday appointment, call 410-822-5400, ext. 2250.


Call Maureen Conlon, Counselor, 410-827-5856, email

Jud Riggins, Academic/Career Advisor, 410-822-5400, ext. 2239, or email