Advising For Transfer

Transfer FAQs/Tips

Is there anything else I might want to know about transferring? Frequently Asked Questions.

Can you give me an overview of the transfer process?
  • Visit your community college advisor or transfer coordinator in order to discuss your intentions to transfer and to obtain advisement.
  • Request information from 4 year institutions that interest you by visiting their web pages. Another great way to discover educational opportunities is to attend the Transfer Advising Days held at your community college.
  • Find out about transfer requirements and deadlines for the institutions to which you intend to apply.
  • Visit the campus(es). While you are there, arrange to meet with either an admissions representative or a department advisor to discuss your chosen major of study.
  • Obtain an application form, or apply on-line.
  • Complete and send the application(s) for admission.
  • Arrange to send transcripts from your current college and all previously attended institutions to the institution(s) to which you are applying.
  • Complete and send all required financial aid/scholarship information by the prescribed deadlines to the institutions to which you are applying.
Do I have to have a certain number of credits to transfer?

No. A student may change colleges at any time. All they need to do is apply to the new college, get accepted, and go. However, there is a difference between a "Transfer Student" and a "First Time Freshman."

  • A Transfer Student has accumulated enough credits to satisfy the transfer requirement at the college to which you intend to transfer. The number of credits varies, but it is usually somewhere around 24 credits to 36 credits depending upon the college. You can determine the exact number by exploring the college's website. In most cases, all a transfer student has to provide to the new college is a transcript of their course work from their previous college, namely, Chesapeake College.
  • A First Time Freshman does not have enough college credits to qualify as a Transfer Student. They must provide the new college with whatever the college requires from first time students. This frequently includes a high school transcript and SAT or ACT scores.

Frequently, students who had average high school records will stay at the community college long enough to meet the transfer requirement at their college of choice so as to improve the likelihood of their acceptance.

When should I begin planning to transfer?

You can't really begin too soon. Visit the Dorchester Building at Wye Mills, or the Cambridge office, and ask to meet with an Advisor. If you know what college you want to transfer to and what you hope to major in when you get there, so much the better. The Advisor will help you understand how to visit the college's web site and search for transfer and admission information.

How do I get a transcript sent from one college or university to another?
Make a written request to the Records/Registrar's office on your campus. There may be a fee required. All USM institutions, most community colleges and many other Maryland institutions have the ability to send and receive electronic transcripts from one another.
How can I know if the courses I am considering will transfer to the four-year campus I want to attend?
ARTSYS indicates the transferability of courses from each community college to each participating four-year college. If ARTSYS is available at your institution, consult your transfer coordinator about its use. If ARTSYS is not available at your institution, consult your academic advisor, transfer counselor or the transfer counselor at the four-year institution regarding the transferability of courses, or access ARTSYS on the Web at
What courses should I take to major in my chosen field?
Before registering for courses, you should consult your academic advisor or transfer counselor and/or ARTSYS to determine the transferability of courses you wish to take. The advisor may be able to provide a recommended transfer program for your major.
How do I access ARTSYS?
Generally, ARTSYS is available both on PCs at your institution as well as on the World Wide Web.
May I earn the associate degree at a community college while taking courses needed for transfer for a recommended transfer program at a specific four-year college?
Yes, with adequate pre-planning in consultation with your academic advisor.
Is it better to get the associate degree or to transfer early?
In general, it is preferable to have a completed degree program on your academic record and on your resumé.
How many credits will transfer?
Transfer credits from a community college normally are limited to half the baccalaureate degree program requirement, not to exceed 70 credits.
How many requirements for graduation at my chosen four-year college will I have met when I receive my associate's degree?
In order to answer this question, you must consult an academic advisor or transfer coordinator at the four-year college.
How long will it take to complete a degree after I transfer?
This will depend on your personal circumstances. For example, will you be a part-time or full-time student? If you change majors, it could well take longer than if you do not change.
What class standing will I have?
This will be based on the credits accepted in transfer. Consult the receiving college's catalog for specific definitions of class standing.
Will the college to which I am transferring do an evaluation of my transfer credit before I enroll at that college?
Many institutions provide an unofficial evaluation of transfer credits prior to enrollment. Your advisor, using ARTSYS, should be able to provide a clear indication of the transfer credits you will receive.
Will I get an advisor at the college to which I am transferring?
Yes. An advisor will be assigned to you after you have enrolled.
Will grades of "D" be accepted in transfer?
"D" grades will be accepted in transfer if the college to which you are applying also accepts a "D" for native students. A "D" grade earned in a general education course that meets a general education requirement at a sending institution, which has designated that course as meeting a general education requirement, will transfer and meet a general education requirement at the receiving institution.
Which institutions have the major I want?
Consult ARTSYS and your academic advisor or transfer counselor, or access individual campus home pages.

Advising is done on a drop-in basis, Monday through Thursday from 10:00 am until 5:00 pm. Fridays, by appointment, 10:00 am - 4:00 pm. For a Friday appointment, call 410-822-5400, ext. 2250.


Call Maureen Conlon, Counselor, 410-827-5856, email

Jud Riggins, Academic/Career Advisor, 410-822-5400, ext. 2239, or email