State-of-the-art facility houses athletics, health programs
WYE MILLS - More than 350 people attended the grand opening of Chesapeake’s Health Professions and Athletics Center and official kick-off for the college’s 50th anniversary on August 19. Former Raven’s football coach Brian Billick joined state and local officials in opening Chesapeake’s largest building.
Construction on the $37 million project began in late 2013. At 100,000 square feet, the HPAC is larger than the original four campus building combined. The project was funded through a 75 percent state contribution, with the remaining 25 percent paid by the five support counties. To equip the building, the college raised $2.5 million in private funds, with a state challenge grant.
Chesapeake’s outstanding student athletes have managed to compete on a national level despite out-of-date facilities. With the new athletics facilities, Chesapeake will be able to better prepared student athletes for competition, and also host tournaments.
More than 1,000 students - either currently enrolled or in the pipeline (taking pre-requisites, declared program) for credit and continuing education/workforce health programs and new programs in exercise science and sport management - will benefit from state- of-the art job preparation in the HPAC.