Orientation | Online Courses | AMA | CMA | CNA | Dental Assistant | EMT | Case Manager | Certified Medicine Aide | Vet Assistant | Personal Trainer
Chesapeake’s Certified Medicine Aide course complies with MBON guidelines and prepares students to perform in long-term healthcare facilities as a Certified Medicine Aide (CMA).
- Possess a current, active, unencumbered Maryland Board of Nursing CNA/GNA certificate
- Current employment and two (2) years full time experience as a CNA in a Maryland ICF/MR setting OR
- Current employment and one (1) year full time work experience as a GNA in a Maryland licensed nursing home
- Current Director of Nursing recommendation
- Self-Verification Form
- Achieve a score of 230 on Reading Comprehension and 240 on Arithmetic placement tests or be exempt.
- Complete the pre-requisite course CEI 165 – Career Planning for CNA/GNA in order to obtain clinical site clearance. Course fee: $175 In-county tuition: $10
Email CEhealthcare@chesapeake.edu to register, or ask questions.
CERTIFIED MEDICINE AIDE
This MD Bd of Nursing (MBON) approved course will train and prepare currently employed MD Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA) and/or Certified Geriatric Nursing Assistants (GNA) for a role in safely administering non-parenteral medications under the supervision of a licensed nurse. The medicine aide course meets MBON requirements which include instruction in both theory and the clinical setting. Students must meet eligibility criteria with drug screen and background check.
PREREQUISITES: College Placement Tests for Reading and Arithmetic, CEI 165
No class 09/01-09/03/23, 09/15-09/17/23, 09/29-10/01/23.
Course Fee: $545 (Tuition: In-county $50, Out-of-county $55, Out-of-state $60)
|CEI 269 A
Recertification for Certified Medicine Aides is required every two years. Chesapeake’s 8-hour course complies with Maryland's Department of Health and Mental Hygiene guidelines and provides the necessary documentation for recertification.
Student applying for this program:
- Must verify that they have practiced in a licensed nursing home under their current license for at least 100 hours in the two years immediately preceding admission to the recertification class;
- Provide a copy of a current Certified Medicine Aide license;
- Send documents to CEHealthcare@Chesapeake.edu to receive the approval to register.
MEDICINE AIDE RECERTIFICATION
Meets the Maryland Board of Nursing renewal requirements for the Certified Medicine Aide. Designed to keep the practicing CMA informed and updated regarding new medications, non-parenteral drug administration, policies and practices, and medications needed by geriatric clients. Emphasis is on new drug therapies and the role of the medicine aide in providing safe and competent care. Upon registration, students must submit a copy of their current CNA/GNA certification and must verify current CNA practice of at least 16 hours within the last two years, must verify active practice as a CNA/GNA/CMA in a licensed nursing home for at least 8 hours within the last two years, and must verify active practice as a CMA for 100 hours within the last two years. Verification to be submitted via the Chesapeake College Verification Form. Please note: The Maryland Board of Nursing requires that this update be completed no more than 90 days before the expiration of the CNA/GNA/CMA certification.
Course Fee: $90 (Tuition: In-county $25, Out-of-county $30, Out-of-state $35)
|CEI 283 A