Veterans & Active Duty Military Services
Chesapeake College is approved by the Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC) to participate in the Veteran's Educational Benefits Program. All of our credit programs are approved for veteran's education benefits. Students must be admitted to Chesapeake College as a credit student to receive their benefits. Programs through Continuing Education are not approved for veteran's education benefits. All Veteran students must contact the Registration Office to discuss their VA Education Benefit eligibility.
VA education benefits are designated by Chapters:
- Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation)
- Chapter 33 (Post 911 active duty, reservists, National Guard)
- Chapter 35 (Spouse and children of 100% disabled or deceased veterans)
- Chapter 1606 (reservist and guardsman)
- Chapter 1607 (reservist and guardsman with special deployment requirements)
All VA Benefit recipients:
- Benefits must be renewed each semester by submitting the VA Enrollment Certification Request Form to the Office of Records and Registration.
- VA Benefits will only be paid for courses required in your Program (see your Academic Evaluation Report - AER). Official Transcripts from other schools attended and from military training must be submitted to the Registrar for evaluation of transfer credits. We must receive these transcripts before the start of your 2nd semester or we will not be able to continue to certify you enrollment with the VA until we receive the transcripts. Change in Academic Program or schedule revisions must be reported to Certifying Official to ensure that correct paperwork is submitted to VA. Failure to do so, may affect student payment from VA.
Service Connected Disability - Veterans with a service connected disability may be eligible for Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E, Chapter 31) benefits. Please call 1-800-827-1000 to speak with a VA Vocational and Employment counselor or 1-888-442-4551 to speak with a VA education benefits specialist.
Maryland National Guard — Active members may be eligible for 50 percent tuition discount. To qualify, members must present a State Tuition Waiver Letter signed by their Unit Commander upon registration each semester.
Active Duty Military - Chesapeake College has signed the Department of Defense MOU and follows the requirements within. Students using Military Tuition Assistance (TA) must have their courses approved through their Education Services Officer. All Military TA must be requested and approved prior to the start date of the course. Students who enroll without prior approval may be liable for tuition costs, therefore it is recommended to receive approval before enrolling.
If you are a Veteran or spouse/children using Transfer of Entitlement and have never used your benefits before, you must:
IMPORTANT -- Students receiving MGIB-Active Duty Chapter 30 benefits, as well as those in Chapter 1606 and Chapter 1607, must verify their enrollment each month to receive payment for that month. This verification can be done either by using the VA's Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or by using an automated telephone system (IVR) at 1-877-823-2378 and follow the prompts.
To apply for benefits, see the Veteran's Checklist for Enrollment
Questions, contact Cindy Welzel, Registration Specialist at 410-827-5876 or email to email@example.com.